CMG ACTION GRANT PITCHES @ CIFF
Filmmakers and organizations can apply to win up to $10,000 to produce a short film related to Healthy Oceans or Renewable Energy Solutions
We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting applications for a CMG Action Grant in partnership with the Conservation Media Group. Three CMG Action Grant finalists will be selected to attend CIFF, where the winner will be announced. Travel, accommodations, and a festival pass will be provided for all finalists. Applications will only be considered for projects with a focus on either Healthy Oceans or Renewable Energy Solutions.
Application Deadline is July 31, 2016.
All applicants will be notified of their status by August 15, 2016.*
*A short list of finalists may be asked prior to this date for a phone or Skype interview.
Who Can Apply
- Filmmakers of all ages and experience levels, including students. All filmmakers are required to submit a sample of previous work from a project over which they had creative control.
- Organizations working in Healthy Oceans or Renewable Energy Solutions, including those for whom this is the first foray into video production & distribution.
The proposed project must include:
- A theme that relates to creating change in Healthy Oceans or Renewable Energy Solutions.
- A video concept that is engaging, unique, and strategic.
- Total video length under 5 minutes. Applicants may submit an idea that includes multiple videos, but the total run time of videos combined must be less than 5 minutes.
- A clearly defined target audience associated with the call to action and distribution plan. Target audiences could include millions of people, a single community or even a single person.
- A clear call to action and a strategic plan for measuring impact in a meaningful way. These may include a petition, a vote, event attendance, pledges, sign-ups – or something creative. This does NOT include social or “vanity metrics” such as shares, likes, or views.
- A strategic plan for distribution that specifies how the video(s) will engage audiences social media or other channels.
- An impact plan that will measure the success of the project using Key Performance Indicators. For example, “X number of petition signatures by X date.”
- All organizations are required to submit a link to materials from a previous or ongoing outreach campaign; filmmakers must submit previous work samples.
- Projects may be national or international; they do not need to be about Maine, or have production in Maine.
- Project may involve launching a new campaign, or work within an existing campaign.
- Project partners are highly recommended for competitive applications.
- Total project budgets may exceed $10,000, but requested CMG Action Grant amounts must be between $5,000-10,000 US.
Criteria for Selection
- Video concept is directly related to important issues in Healthy Oceans, Renewable Energy Solutions, or a combination of the two.
- Concept is clear and appropriate for length, audience, and call to action.
- Clear link between target audience and suggested action.
- Clarity of desired action & social impact, as well as a concrete plan for impact measurement.
- Strength and appropriateness of project partnerships.
- Length of the project from grant award date to impact measurement final report shall not be more than 9 months.
- Total budget appropriate to project proposed.
- Aside from the subject matter fitting within CMG’s focus areas, the single most important factor for competitive applications is the clarity of the impact measurement plan. How will this film and campaign have real, measureble impact? Education and awareness pieces will not be considered.
- Funds may only be used for approved pre-production, production, distribution and measurement costs.
- Grant is disbursed from charitable funds and must be used in compliance with CMG guidelines. Grant funds may not be used with the intention of making profit.
- Final video(s) must be licensed under Creative Commons with Attribution.
- A final budget, project outline and grant legal agreement will be required before initial half of funds are dispersed.
- A closing report is required, including the final video(s), final budget, expense report, summary of measurement tools and recorded impact results before final half of funds are dispersed.
We look forward to reviewing your applications!