North Shorts Grant & Residency
A $30,000 fund and residency for 6 filmmakers from the American Northeast working on documentary shorts
Points North Institute, IF/Then Shorts, LEF Foundation, and ScreeningRoom invite diverse stories and storytellers from the American Northeast to apply for a fellowship to take cinematic short documentary films from the edit to distribution. The projects should explore a range of socially, politically and culturally relevant topics that are rooted in the region.
Six selected film teams will receive a $5,000 post-production grant and participate in a month-long online rough cut lab, working with industry professionals and editing mentors to fine tune their rough cut. After the lab, the films will be shown at an invitation-only rough cut screening as a part of the 2020 Camden International Film Festival. Following the lab and festival, filmmakers will receive two months of distribution consultation to help get their film out into the world.
Six projects selected to receive the following benefits:
- $5,000 grants
- One month online rough cut lab with peer feedback, workshops, 1:1 mentorship and editing consultations
- Free access to ScreeningRoom platform for editing notes
- Invite-only rough cut screening for filmmakers, festival programmers and industry leaders at Camden International Film Festival
- Distribution support from IF/Then + ScreeningRoom, including introductions and meetings with key platforms for short docs
- Films made by diverse filmmakers, including ALAANA (Asian, LatinX, African, Arab, and Native American) populations, LGBTQ+, women, nonbinary, and people with disabilities, who are living and working in the American Northeast.
- This region includes: Maine, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Puerto Rico.
- Length: Films with intended runtimes up to 30 minutes
- Stage: Films that will have a first rough cut by September 2020. Anticipated completion early 2021.
- Should have a minimum 5 minute work sample or reel that demonstrates strong understanding of content and style
DEADLINE: August 10 at 11:59pm EST.
There is no submission fee.
SUBMISSIONS & ELIGIBILITY
Submissions are now open!
- The Shortform Residency is open to all independent filmmakers and journalists worldwide.
- Projects must have begun post-production before the start of the residency. The only requirement is that you submit 2 minutes of edited footage.
- Submitted projects must have an intended runtime of 40 minutes or less.
- Submitted projects must have an intended completion date before April 1, 2021.
We’re looking for independent filmmakers, journalists and media artists from diverse backgrounds and unique artistic perspectives — storytellers who would benefit from spending a week in Maine editing under the guidance of mentors and connecting with key industry decision makers during the Camden International Film Festival and Points North Forum.
DEADLINES & FEES
Earlybird Deadline: April 6 @ 11:59pm | $20
Regular Deadline: May 18 @ 11:59pm | $30
Extended Deadline: June 29 @ 11:59pm | $40
The Shortform Editing Residency application follows the guidelines established by the IDA’s Documentary Core Application Project.