WHO WE ARE
The Points North Institute is a media arts organization dedicated to providing a launching pad for the next generation of nonfiction storytellers while strengthening Maine communities through powerful nonfiction media. We got our start in 2005 with the founding of the Camden International Film Festival (CIFF), which has been recognized as one of the top documentary film festivals in the world.
The Points North Institute’s programs now include an annual 4-day film festival, a year-round screening series, and a growing suite of artist support initiatives that nurture the careers and artistic voices of diverse nonfiction storytellers. These include an annual film industry conference, an exhibition of interactive and immersive media, a fellowship program, a weeklong filmmakers’ retreat (produced in partnership with Tribeca Film Institute and CNN Films), a filmmaker residency, and educational initiatives that use documentary film and media to engage students and communities across the state.
As our organization expands, we are committed to building a unique, interdisciplinary community of filmmakers, artists, journalists, industry leaders and local audiences, forming a creative hub on the coast of Maine where stories and talent are discovered, collaborations are born, and the future of nonfiction media is shaped.
We’re seeking a Managing Director who is motivated to proactively lead the continued growth of a thriving, ambitious media arts organization — someone who is excited about documentary film and nonfiction storytelling as a community building tool and has experience managing highly effective teams.
The Managing Director’s primary responsibility will be to oversee the organization’s day-to-day operations and supervise core staff members — including the Program Coordinator, Festival Producer and Office Assistant — while managing the planning and production of the annual Camden International Film Festival and Points North Forum, as well as year-round events such as our Summer Preview Party / Fundraiser, the Camden/TFI Retreat and CIFF Selects screening series.
The Managing Director will also work closely with the Executive Director and Program Director to shape the continued growth of the Points North Institute. S/he will help to define our long-term vision and development strategy, ensuring that the organization continues to effectively serve the needs of both media artists and Maine communities while strengthening the documentary field. In this capacity, the Managing Director will serve as a key ambassador for our mission and programs to donors, sponsors, foundations and industry partners.
Salary: This position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
Time Commitment: This is a full-time, year-round position.
Location: Rockport, Maine (with possibility of telecommuting during part of the year)
Reports to: Executive Director
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Manage the organization’s day-to-day operations and oversee the production of annual programs, ensuring they are streamlined and efficient by:
- Working closely with the Executive Director to set clear priorities, goals and metrics for the execution of all Points North Institute programs, anticipating needs, challenges and opportunities that may shape program development
- Leading weekly staff meetings and overseeing a year-long calendar of activities that encompasses the areas of Operations, Development, Marketing, Programming and Production
- Developing, implementing, and refining systems, processes and workflows, focusing on efficiently managing limited staff time and resources while maintaining high standards and attention to detail
- Build strong, collaborative relationships across the organization, leading a high-performing year-round staff as well as recruiting and overseeing the work of a highly-engaged seasonal production team
- Directly managing the work of the Program Coordinator, Office Assistant and Festival Producer — clearly delegating responsibilities, providing honest, direct feedback, and remaining committed to staff members’ long-term development
- Maintaining a positive, inclusive culture that builds community, brings out each team member’s creative strengths and challenges everyone to exceed the expectations of artists, audiences and supporters
Promote the growth and financial success of the Points North Institute and the continued development of the organization’s brand and programs by:
- Supporting fundraising efforts by building personal relationships with key individual donors and corporate sponsors, working with the Executive Director and Program Director to cultivate new supporters while managing relationships with existing supporters and program partners
- Reporting to the Board of Directors and related committees about the organization’s year-round activities with an eye towards strategic Board development
- Representing the Points North Institute publicly at the Camden International Film Festival and all other Institute programs, while attending local cultural events, festivals, industry events, sponsorship meetings and other functions on behalf of the organization when necessary
- Working closely with the Program Coordinator to manage and maintain all development-related databases and administrative needs related to corporate sponsors, individual donors, foundations and other partners
- Ensuring clear communication of the Points North Institute’s mission and the value of our programs to local and international audiences, overseeing the work of the Program Coordinator and external agencies to develop, design and distribute all marketing and press materials
Develop a strategic plan for the future evolution of the Points North Institute by:
- Working closely with the Executive Director and the Program Director to shape a development strategy that drives the next phase of the Points North Institute’s growth, while supporting the execution and ongoing success of a substantial three-year establishment campaign for the Institute
- Contribute to evaluation and long-term strategic planning that allow Points North Institute programs to continuously improve and help translate long-term vision into a reality
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates will demonstrate the following:
- At least 5 years experience as a leader in creative organizations, either in a nonprofit or for-profit setting
- A proven track record of leading teams towards a compelling vision and clear outcomes, while maintaining an organizational culture that is positive, inclusive, creative and ambitious
- Strong project planning and management skills and the ability to proactively develop, implement, and manage efficient processes and systems used in our day-to-day operations
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to balance and prioritize competing demands and deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly delegate responsibilities, facilitate discussions toward a productive end, and articulate the value of the Points North Institute’s work in clear, concise, and compelling ways
- Ability to serve as a gracious public ambassador for the organization with filmmakers, artists, industry professionals, sponsors, donors, volunteers and audience members
- Making creative use of limited resources while overseeing allocation of budgets and ongoing financial management
- Adaptive to feedback and focused on continuous improvement of the organization’s operations and programs
- Graduate school work in relevant programs is beneficial
- Strong knowledge of documentary film, other media arts fields, or the nonprofit sector is beneficial
- Strong knowledge of financial management practices and software (i.e. Quickbooks) is beneficial
- Belief in the Points North Institute’s mission and culture: Hold a passionate commitment to building local and global communities through documentary film and nonfiction storytelling.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. In your cover letter, please outline why you are interested in working for the Points North Institute and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and this position will remain open until filled.
Points North Institute is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and programs. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.